The Covid19 pandemic has brought us face to face with innumerable fears and doubts. It has plunged the world into uncertainty and unrelenting anxiety from constant media updates of the situation.
Mental health is now becoming a mammoth problem, not just with those already diagnosed or those predisposed to it, but with the world at large.
The World Health Organisation had brought out an article on Protecting mental health in early march, which was very informative and useful.
So how can we protect our overall health, especially our mental health ?
Improving Mind health -
- Practice meditation, yoga, relaxation techniques and slow breathing. There are lots of online classes on them all. Find one that interests you and go with it. You'll be happy you did. There are a few mentioned at the end of this article.
- Be mindful of the news you watch. Get just the necessary details and then switch it off.
- Limit time on social media, and switch it off at least 2 hours before bedtime.
- Read motivational, inspirational literature and books, and books that are generally light and easy on the mind.
- Try your hand at a new skill or craft.
- Watch fun, light on the mind movies that give you a good laugh. Avoid watching apocalyptic , dystopic and serious movies.
- Spend time with the people at home, talk to them. Call your friends and family and converse with them over skype or one such modes.
- Spend time in nature...from your balcony or terrace. Breathe in the fresh clean air in the mornings and evenings.
Improving Body health -
- Maintain a fixed sleep and wake up time. Try to get into bed by 10pm and get a good 7 to 8 hours sleep.
- Calm down and deep breathe at least an hour before bedtime, to ensure the best sleep.
- Wake up and start your day with water kept in a copper glass or just plain warm water.
- Exercise for a minimum of 30 - 40 minutes everyday.
- Get fresh air everyday, from your balcony or terrace.
- Eat fresh home cooked food.
- Eat lots of local fruits and vegetables.
- Ensure your diet includes fibre.
- Stay well hydrated.
- Do a full body abhyanga everyday, if possible, or at least once a week.
- If you are on any medications, ensure you take them correctly and on time.
- Ensure to get minimum 15 minutes of sun exposure in the early morning hours. Do not use sunscreen at this time.
Other things one can do to boost overall health -