Our skin is the largest organ in our body and also the most delicate, especially the skin on our face.
It can go from calm and clear one moment to red, itchy and irritated in another. It’s frustrating, without doubt, but no need to stress if you find yourself dealing with skin that simply seems irritated.
We've put together a few things you can do to soothe irritated skin. As always, it’s good to consult with a dermatologist if you think the irritation might be due to a more serious issue.
But first, What was the cause for this sudden change ?
- Products that contain a mix of chemical ingredients , fragrances, strong preservatives, benzoyl peroxide, alpha hydroxy acids that may be helpful in treating breakouts, but they can also be very irritating for people with sensitive skin
- Excessive exfoliation may also be the culprit, as rough or sharp particles in certain scrubs can actually cause microscopic cuts in the skin.
- Overuse of chemical laden products, using a mix of many products and constantly changing products has also been seen to give people red, peeling, dry, irritated skin. You want to use an anti-aging product, pick one and use it for at least 3 months to see a visible difference, unless your skin reacts to it faster.
- Irritated skin could also be caused by an underlying issue, such as eczema, or an allergy, which can develop at any age.
- Insufficient moisturizer use could also lead to irritation, especially in winters and those with very dry skin. Using a simple, pure moisturizer will help keep your skin happy and calm.
- A disturbed digestive system, according to ayurveda, is another cause for such inflamed skin conditions.
So, What sort of products and ingredients should you look out for in your skincare ?
- Fresh aloe vera gel is known to soothe such skin. Keep some fresh gel in your refrigerator and use frequently through the day. Learn how to harvest fresh aloe gel.
- Colloidal oats is another that is known to reduce itchiness and reduce irritation and inflammation. Oats contain molecules which can improve skin condition. Of these molecules, the particularly important ones are lipids, beta glucan and antioxidants.
Beta glucan acts as a deep moisturiser and helps to maintain skin firmness by inducing collagen production.
Oats are packed with antioxidants. One group unique to oats, called Avenanthramides, work like an antihistamine, reducing redness and itchiness when the skin is irritated.
- Pure oils like virgin coconut oil , almond oil also help calm facial skin.
- Use fragrance-free products as far as possible. Even some essential oils tend to aggravate such conditions.
- Use natural, chemical-free , preservative-free products.
- Keep your diet cool and bland. Keep spices to the minimum.